Butter Chicken Panini
- 8 HR 30 MIN. PREP TIME
- 1 HR COOK TIME
- 2-4 SERVINGS
WHAT YOU NEED
For Butter Chicken
- ¾ cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon roasted ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ½ pound onion, sliced thick
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons roasted ground cumin
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 4 Stonefire@ Naan flatbreads (2 packages)
- Butter chicken from above, sliced or shredded
- 1-2 medium tomatoes sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 ounces shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Mango chutney, for dipping or as a condiment when serving
- THE night before, mix yogurt with lemon juice, 1 tablespoon cumin, garam masala and turmeric. Coat the chicken thighs then place chicken and marinade in a gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate over night.
- ABOUT an hour before service, place a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat and melt butter in oil.
- ONCE hot, add onion and cook for about five minutes until onions are just starting to turn translucent.
- ADD garlic, ginger and 1½ teaspoons cumin and cook for two minutes.
- ADD cinnamon stick, jalapeno and salt and cook for five minutes, keep heat at medium the entire time.
- ADD the chicken pieces along with all of the marinade and cook chicken three minutes per side.
- ADD stock, bring to a boil and lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes uncovered, turning chicken over once or twice.
- MIX in tomato paste and cream and cook for 10 more minutes on medium.
- REMOVE from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- REMOVE chicken to a cutting board and slice or shred then add back to the sauce and mix however remove and discard the cinnamon stick.
- TO assemble the panini, place Stonefire@ Naan on your counter, flat side in, bubbled side out.
- DIVIDE chicken between two slices.
- TOP each with tomatoes, cilantro and cheese, then cover each with another slice of Naan. Butter the top of each sandwich with half the butter and set aside.
- HEAT panini press and once hot, use the remaining butter to butter the bottom ribbed grill plate. Place both sandwiches on the press and close to heat both sides. (Depending on the size of your press, you may need to cook one at a time).
- GRILL until browned and the cheese has melted. We actually browned, removed to a board and cut into quarters, then back on the press to really get the cheese to melt and ooze. Total time on the panini press was about eight minutes but your time will vary.
- SERVE finished panini with mango chutney (jarred is fine)
Recipe by A Family Feast