WHAT YOU NEED
Marinade for Chicken
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 large yellow, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz.
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- Stonefire Naan Bread
- IN a large ziplock bag, mix the Marinade for Chicken ingredients, 1/2 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt, 1 Lemon, juiced, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp garam masala.
- DICE the chicken into 1 inch cubes. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag.
- ZIP the marinade and chicken together to make sure all the chicken is covered. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- IN a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- ADD the diced onion, tsp salt, 1 cinnamon stick and 1 teaspoon garam masala.
- COOK until onion is translucent and spices are fragrant.
- ADD 3 diced garlic cloves and cook for 2 minutes.
- ADD 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 can of diced tomatoes and 2 tbsp tomato paste, and cook until sauce has thickened and reduced.
- TAKE marinated cubed chicken out of the fridge (if you have not already done so) and add it to the sauce. Cook until the outsides are no longer pink and chicken is almost cooked through.
- ADD1/2 tsp garam masal, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 cup water. Try to cover the chicken completely.
- BRING to boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 30 minutes.
- CHICKEN should be cooked through and very tender.
- REMOVE cinnamon stick. Turning heat down to low and add the 3 tbsp of coconut milk.
- TASTE the mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
- GARNISH with chopped cilantro and serve hot over naan or with naan on the side.
Recipe by April Go Lightly