Winter Vegetable and Sausage Pizza
- 40 MIN. PREP TIME
- 12 MIN. COOK TIME
- 2-4 SERVINGS
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup butternut squash, roasted with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, cooked and broken up into large pieces
- 1 large onion, finely sliced and caramelized with 1 teaspoon butter and ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 cups smoked gouda, shredded
- 2 Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads (I used one round pizza crust and one rectangular flatbread crust)
- 3 tablespoons butter, browned
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ROAST the butternut squash by baking it at 400 with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkled with a ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, set aside.
- BROWN the sausage by cooking it in a pan over high heat for 20 minutes, breaking it up into large chunks as it cooks. Drain the grease off and set aside.
- CARAMALIZE onion by slicing the onion very finely and then melting butter and olive oil in a pan and then cooking the onions by stirring them around for 20-30 minutes until they become soft and translucent.
- TO toast the pumpkin seeds put them in a small frying pan and cook over medium heat until they start to brown, then remove from heat and set aside.
- TO brown the butter melt it in a small sauce pan and let it come to a slow boil, then continue cooking it over medium high heat until it starts to form little brown bits at the bottom, then remove from heat.
- PREHEAT oven to 425. Set two Stonefire pizza crusts on a baking sheet.
- DISTRIBUTE squash and sausage between the two crusts.
- NEXT place the caramelized onions over and around the squash and sausage and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- SPRINKLE toasted pumpkin seeds on top of the cheese, then drizzle the browned butter on top of the crusts. Lastly sprinkle brown sugar on top of all the toppings. Bake the crusts for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and brown around the edges. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and enjoy!
Recipe by Sweet Phi